The movie star, who is currently on a press trip in the country to promote Wild Turkey whiskey alongside his eco-cabin business, spoke about the time he encountered a venomous snake in the land down under.
“When I was here, I almost stepped on [a brown snake]. I should have been bitten,” McConaughey said, recalling the time he was visiting a friend in Warnervale.
“It was a bit dark. It went right through my legs and gave me bit of a scare.”
McConaughey noted his friend’s shocked response to the near-death experience.
“My friend came over, and they caught it and said, ‘That’s a brown snake, mate… that could have really sucked.’”
“That’s [why it’s] my favorite animal, because it didn’t bite me,” McConaughey said.
The brown snake is native to eastern and central Australia and is considered to be the world’s second-most venomous land snake.
A bite from the brown snake can result in hemorrhage, cardiovascular collapse and cardiac arrest.