Man Accused of Killing Yale Doctor Had Names of 2 More Targets, 1,000 Bullets

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut -- An unemployed doctor charged with fatally shooting a Yale University doctor was found with documents on two other people involved in his dismissal from a New York hospital and 1,000 rounds of ammunition when he was arrested, police said Tuesday.

Lishan Wang, 44, was arraigned Tuesday and held on $2 million bail in the killing of Vajiinder Toor. The two had worked together at the hospital in New York City. Toor, originally from India, was shot five times Monday outside his home.

Printouts on two other people directly involved in Wang's dismissal were found in his van when he was arrested nearby, police said. The names were not disclosed.

Police said directions and a pedigree were also in the van, but the report blacks out further details. A pedigree typically involves details about a person such as where they live and work.

Police Lt. Geoffrey Morgan told The Associated Press investigators did not know what Wang intended to do with the information.

"Had we not captured him, I don't know what his future plans were," Morgan said.

Wang's van had the words "May-08-10" handwritten on a temporary plate displayed in the rear, police said. Wang was suspended from his job in May 2008 after a heated exchange with Toor at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in New York.

A wig, a hammer and a knife were also found in the van, police said.

Wang was found with handguns matching shell casings from the slaying scene, prosecutor Devant Joiner said in court. Investigators also found loaded magazines, Google directions to the shooting location and a picture of the victim, Joiner said.

Police say Wang also shot at Toor's pregnant wife, but missed. Wang is charged with murder, attempted murder and firearms offenses.

Wang had a history of confrontations with Toor and other colleagues at Kingsbrook that led to his dismissal, and he had a federal discrimination lawsuit pending against the hospital.

Wang hung his head throughout Tuesday's hearing and did not speak. No plea was entered. A Chinese citizen from Beijing, Wang was assisted by a Mandarin interpreter.

Wang's public defender, Scott Jones, requested his client be placed in protective custody. Jones declined to comment after the hearing.

A judge found probable cause to hold Wang. The next hearing was set for May 11.

Bail commissioner Sharon Moye-Johnson said Wang had declined to be interviewed by commission staff, but he has no previous criminal record.

Wang is a married father of three, and his last known address was in Georgia.

Toor was a postdoctoral fellow at the Yale School of Medicine who was working with the infectious disease section of Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Although police have not said whether they believe a specific recent incident triggered Wang's alleged actions, records show his lawsuit against Kingsbrook had been heating up.

The hospital's attorneys asked a judge this month to consider dismissing the case, and they were wrangling with Wang over how much he had to disclose about his income and prescription history.

Wang and his attorney were due for a conference call May 6 with the judge and attorneys for the hospital to discuss that impasse and his claim that they were violating his privacy.

Wang's attorney, Christine Rodriguez, said Tuesday that no depositions had been conducted, so far.

"I am deeply saddened by the tragic turn of events that took place yesterday near Yale," she said in a written statement Tuesday. "My heartfelt condolences go out to Dr. Toor's family and to Dr. Wang's wife and three children."

Wang worked from 2002 through 2005 at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, according to court records, before joining Kingsbrook for residency training in 2006.

Wang's 2008 firing was the start of several setbacks, according to filings in his federal lawsuit.

In May 2009, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission rejected his discrimination claim, saying Kingsbrook showed he was fired for "multiple performance problems."

Toor was not a defendant in the lawsuit, though Wang cited alleged conflicts with Toor and other doctors several times in the claim.

Wang said in his court filings that he was doing postdoctoral work from February 2009 through February of this year at Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta on a $34,000 annual salary.

Toor, who has been praised by colleagues as diligent and ambitious, left Kingsbrook not long after Wang.

Toor, who graduated from Guru Gobind Singh Medical College in India in 2001, moved to Texas after his Kingsbrook position and practiced at Austin Regional Clinic.

Tim Rye, the clinic's regional operations director, said Toor was sociable and energetic and talked of returning to Texas later in his career.

"I really have no doubt that he would have been, wherever he ended up, some kind of lead physician," Rye said. "For a physician his age, he was more motivated than most. He was a good solid doctor, a very energetic guy with a lot ahead of him."

A woman who identified herself as Toor's sister-in-law declined comment when reached at the Toor house Tuesday.

Neighbors in the condominium complex were still shaken Tuesday by the incident.

Dawn Eisensmith, 42, who heard the gunshots and the screams of Toor's wife, said that her 12-year-old son is carrying a baseball bat with him since the incident.

He had walked past the Toors' home on his way to the bus stop shortly before the shooting.

"That's the scariest part from me, is that he was there just minutes before," she said.