Sandusky released on bail

Jerry Sandusky was released from jail on Thursday after posting $250,000 bail.

Sandusky was arrested Wednesday after two more young men testified to a grand jury that they were targeted as children for sexual abuse by the former Penn State assistant coach.

He secured his release using $200,000 in real estate holdings and a $50,000 certified check provided by his wife, Dorothy, according to multiple reports.

Sandusky ignored questions from reporters as he went inside his home in State College Thursday afternoon.

Sandusky was charged last month with 40 counts of various sexual crimes in a scandal that cost legendary Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno, among others, their jobs.

His attorney, Joe Amendola, said he was surprised by the arrest because Sandusky had volunteered to turn himself in on any new charges.

Speaking to reporters in the rain, Amendola seemed to think it was unlikely Sandusky would be able to post bail by the deadline it could be processed.

According to a statement from State Attorney General Linda Kelly on Wednesday, the new criminal charges were recommended by a grand jury based on evidence that was received following Sandusky's initial arrest on November 5th.

"At that time, Sandusky was charged with sexually assaulting eight victims, all of whom first encountered Sandusky as children through The Second Mile, an organization that he founded to operate programs for disadvantaged young people."

Kelly said the latest criminal charges come following grand jury testimony from two additional young men, identified as Victim 9 and Victim 10, who were allegedly targeted by Sandusky when they were children.

"As in many of the other cases identified to date, the contact with Sandusky allegedly fit a pattern of 'grooming' victims," Kelly added. "Beginning with outings to football games and gifts; they later included physical contact that escalated to sexual assaults."

The latest charges for Sandusky include four counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all first- degree felonies that are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and $25,000 fines.

Additionally, he is charged with one count of indecent assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of children, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and $15,000 fines.

Sandusky is also charged with one count of indecent assault and two counts of corruption of minors, all first-degree misdemeanors each punishable by up to five years in prison and $10,000 fines.

Amendola said his client was left "scratching his head" and asking, "What's next?"

"I said, 'Don't ask that question. Don't ask can it get worse because it can,'" said Amendola.

According to the grand jury, Victim 9 first encountered Sandusky in approximately 2004, while participating in a summer camp organized by The Second Mile, when he was 11 or 12 years old. Sandusky allegedly approached the young man, engaged him in conversation and expressed an interest in spending more time with the child.

Kelly said Sandusky allegedly took the boy to numerous Penn State football games and gave him gifts and money.

Later, the grand jury found that during overnight stays at Sandusky's home, behavior such as hugging, rubbing, cuddling and tickling -- initially viewed as acts of affection -- escalated to sexual assaults. Additional sex acts were allegedly performed in the swimming pool and hot tub of a hotel in the State College area, at times when the pool area was not occupied.

According to the presentment, Sandusky told Victim 9 that he loved and cared for him and urged him to keep their activities secret.

In the case of Victim 10, the boy was referred to The Second Mile in 1997 when he was 10 years old, at the recommendation of a counselor because of difficulties in his home life. Sandusky allegedly approached the boy during a summer camp and later made arrangements to take the boy to several Penn State football games where the boy played football at Holuba Hall on the Penn State campus before the game, attended tailgate parties prior to the game and spent time at the Sandusky home.

According to the grand jury, "wrestling" sessions in the basement of Sandusky's home eventually escalated to incidents where Sandusky performed oral sex on the boy. Victim 10 also detailed incidents which occurred at a swimming pool on the Penn State campus, along with an encounter in a car when Sandusky allegedly exposed himself and requested oral sex from the boy.

As in other cases, Sandusky allegedly gave the boy gifts and frequently told the boy that he loved him.

Sandusky has maintained his innocence since his first arrest in November. He has admitted to showering and horsing around with young boys.

The scandal at Penn State not only forced Paterno's ouster as head coach, but it ended in the dismissal of school president Graham Spanier while athletic director Tim Curley also lost his job.