The latest on the Boston Marathon bombing trial: Dad of slain boy recalls color of son's skin

5 P.M.

The father of an 8-year-old boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombing says the color of his son's skin told him there was no chance for survival.

Bill Richard is the father of Martin Richard, the youngest of three people who died that day.

Richard spoke in a slow, halting voice as he described the chaos and confusion after the bombing. Spectators quietly cried during his testimony.

Richard says he scooped up 6-year-old daughter Jane, who tried to stand up but fell because her leg was blown off. He took son Henry in his other arm and tried to shield their eyes.

Shortly afterward, he saw a "little boy who had his body severely damaged by an explosion." It was Martin.

He says he knew he needed to act quickly or Jane might die, too.


2:45 P.M.

A Boston police officer testifying in the trial of marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) says she refused to leave the body of a woman killed in the attacks even though her captain ordered her to.

Officer Lauren Woods says she knelt down to where 23-year-old Boston University graduate student Lingzi Lu was lying after the bombings.

Woods says Lu's body was quivering and her eyes kept rolling in and out.

Woods says a group of emergency responders and bystanders moved Lu to an ambulance, but seconds later a paramedic told her to take Lu out "because she was gone" and there were people who could be saved.

The officer says she refused to leave Lu's body on the street, even after her captain warned her there could be a third bomb.


1:25 P.M.

Prosecutors in Tsarnaev's trial have shown the jury a photo of a woman's twisted and mangled leg.

Roseann Sdoia (suh-DOY'-uh) testified Thursday that she saw two flashes of white light explode at her feet. She says when she looked down, she thought she had worn strappy sandals that day but then realized it was her foot dangling from her leg.

She sobbed as she described the scene after the second of two bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013.

Sdoia says, "Someone came running over to me and told me I had to get out of there. I told them I couldn't get up. I didn't have a leg."


10:10 A.M.

A man who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon attacks has taken the witness stand in the trial of bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Jeff Bauman walked slowly into the courtroom Thursday using two prosthetic legs.

He began his testimony describing how he went to the marathon April 15, 2013, to see his future wife run.

He told jurors that he saw Tsarnaev's brother, Tamerlan, before the two bombs exploded. Bauman remembers that he wasn't watching the race.

He says: "He didn't look like he was having fun like everyone else."

Bauman later described Tamerlan Tsarnaev to the FBI.

An image of an ashen-faced Bauman being wheeled from the marathon with both of his legs severely injured and bloody became one of the most widely distributed photos after the attack.


10 A.M.

A Boston police officer is describing the grave injuries suffered by a woman who was killed when the first of two bombs exploded at the 2013 marathon.

Frank Chiola testified Thursday in Tsarnaev's trial that he was the first officer to reach 29-year-old Krystle Campbell. He says he ran across the street to help victims as soon as he heard the explosion.

Chiola says smoke came out of Campbell's mouth as he tried to give her chest compressions. He says she appeared to be in a lot of pain.

Campbell was one of three people killed after twin bombs exploded at the marathon. More than 260 people were wounded.


9:40 A.M.

Lawyers for Tsarnaev say survivors of the attacks shouldn't have been allowed to give such gruesome testimony, but the judge disagrees.

Defense attorney David Bruck is objecting to the extent of testimony Wednesday from three women who described their injuries in detail and what they saw on the day of the 2013 attack.

Bruck said Thursday that under the federal death penalty law, victim impact testimony is supposed to be presented during the second phase of the trial when the jury decides punishment.

Prosecutors say the survivors simply described what they saw.

Judge George O'Toole Jr. agreed with prosecutors and denied the motion to limit survivors' testimony.

Boston police Officer Frank Chiola has taken the stand as the first witness Thursday.