The Latest: Gunfire erupts at Ferguson protest

The Latest on the second anniversary of the death of Michael Brown (all times local):

9:45 p.m.

Gunfire broke out during a protest in Ferguson, Missouri, on the second anniversary of Michael Brown's death, disrupting what had been a peaceful gathering.

Witnesses told an Associated Press reporter Tuesday night that a car sped through a group of protesters who were blocking a street. They said the car struck a young man so hard that he flew into the air and his shoes were knocked off. As the car drove away, shots were fired.

Witness Sharon Cowan says the man appeared to be badly injured and was put into a private car to be taken to a hospital.

Ferguson spokesman Jeff Small said police responded to reports of gunfire but so far had found no evidence that anyone had been struck.

Demonstrators remained on the scene.


8:45 p.m.

A small group of protesters has taken to the streets in Ferguson, Missouri, on the second anniversary of Michael Brown's death.

A few dozen people marched Tuesday night from the site on Canfield Drive where the unarmed black 18-year-old was fatally shot by a police officer to a busy intersection that's been the site of protests before.

The group periodically blocked traffic and chanted "no justice, no peace" and other slogans.

An officer's order to clear a street prompted a shouting match between protesters and police.

Brown was fatally shot by officer Darren Wilson after a confrontation on Aug. 9, 2014. A state grand jury declined to press charges against Wilson, and the U.S. Justice Department later cleared him, concluding that he had acted in self-defense. He resigned in November 2014.


9:30 a.m.

The two-year anniversary of Michael Brown's fatal shooting by an officer will be marked with a memorial service and a moment of silence on the Ferguson street where he died.

The events are planned late Tuesday morning on Canfield Drive.

The black, unarmed 18-year-old was shot by Ferguson officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9, 2014. A St. Louis County grand jury and the U.S. Justice Department determined that no charges should be filed against Wilson, who resigned that November.

The shooting was a catalyst in the national Black Lives Matter movement and led to months of protests in Ferguson.

It also led to a Justice Department investigation that found troubling practices in Ferguson's criminal justice system, resulting in an agreement this year between the federal agency and the city calling for sweeping changes.