RALEIGH, N.C. – The North Carolina man accused of leading a circle of people indicted on terrorism charges is set to appear in federal court next week for a suddenly rescheduled plea hearing, according to court documents released Wednesday.
Court records do not say how Daniel Patrick Boyd plans to plead, but his arraignment was previously scheduled for August of this year, shortly before a planned trial in September. An attorney for Boyd did not return a phone call and U.S. attorney George Holding declined to comment.
Prosecutors accused Boyd and several other people in July 2009 of plotting international terrorism and conspiring to support terrorism. They accused Boyd of leading the work and plotting to attack government installations and kill U.S. military personnel.
The FBI has said agents seized some two dozen guns and more than 27,000 rounds of ammunition from Boyd's home. The indictment claims some of the men were training in military-style tactics and that all were plotting to kill, kidnap and maim as part of holy war.
No other defendants are scheduled to appear for next week's hearing. Boyd's two sons — Zakariya and Dylan — have been indicted for conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists; conspiracy to murder, kidnap, maim and injure persons in a foreign country; and firearms violations.
During a 2009 detention hearing, federal authorities played audio tapes of Boyd talking in his home about protecting Muslims at all costs. It included long discussions about the struggle of Muslims, the honor of martyrdom and his disgust with the U.S. military.
"I love jihad. I love to stand there and fight for the sake of Allah," a voice identified as Boyd said.
The indictment shocked people who lived near Boyd's unassuming lakeside home in a rural area south of Raleigh. They remembered him as the devoted Muslim, friendly drywall contractor and neighbor who chatted about gardening and fishing.
Boyd's wife, Sabrina, has denied that her husband or sons were involved in any terrorist activity.