Oklahoma agency investigates death of man hit by stun gun

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the death of a man a day after Ponca City police used a stun gun on him.

Roger "Rocky" Bales, 56, died July 1 in a Ponca City hospital, according to a news release from Ponca City police. Bales' daughter said he had health problems and has questioned the official police account of what happened.

An officer had stopped Bales about 10:30 p.m. on June 30 for driving with a broken tail light and Bales, after stopping, fled the vehicle on foot, according to police.

"The officer pursued the suspect west from that location," for about one block, according to the release. "The officer deployed his Taser and the suspect was apprehended. Other officers arrived to assist, and an ambulance was called for the suspect."

Bales died the following night, the release said.

The officer who fired the stun gun was identified in a news release Tuesday as Patrolman Daniel Morrison. Police said Morrison has been on administrative leave since July 1 pending the outcome of the investigation.

Bales' daughter, Lindsey Bales, told KFOR-TV that she believes the stun gun was unnecessary because her father had various health issues.

"He couldn't have gotten very far or very fast," Bales said. "I could have pushed my dad over. He was 56 and he was having liver and kidney problems. He had just found out he had a heart condition. He used a breathing machine at night to sleep with."

"For him to have gotten out of the vehicle and have ran like that, in his health, I just don't understand," Bales said.

Roger Bales' body was sent to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy to determine the cause of death, according to Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown.

"That is a key part of this investigation," Brown said, adding that Ponca City police asked the state agency to investigate.

Autopsy results could take four to six weeks to complete, Amy Elliott, a spokeswoman for the state medical examiner said.