The unidentified man sprayed an "excessive" amount of aerosol spray in his car, which was parked in Halifax, West Yorkshire, on Saturday when he decided to grab a cigarette.
Witnesses told the Manchester Evening News they heard an "enormous bang" — and saw the car's windows shatter and nearby buildings shake.
"The owner of a car parked on that street and had used an air freshener can but not ventilated his car before lighting his cigarette," West Yorkshire Police said in a statement. "The fumes exploded and blew out his windscreen, along with some windows at nearby business premises."
The street was briefly closed while authorities — who warned members of the public to "be careful and follow guidelines when using air freshener cans" — investigated.