Marathon blast victim Krystle Campbell remembered at funeral as happy, generous

Hundreds of family and friends packed a church in Medford, Mass., for the funeral of a Boston Marathon bombing victim, while dozens more waited outside after being turned away.

Gov. Deval Patrick and Cardinal Sean O'Malley were among the people who attended the funeral Mass Monday for 29-year-old Krystle Campbell at St. Joseph Church in her hometown.

Campbell was one of three people killed near the finish line a week ago. The restaurant manager had gone to watch a friend finish the race.

Marishi Charles, who attended the funeral, says Campbell's parents were too distraught to talk, so pastor Chip Hines spoke for them during the service, saying "Krystle was always there for people."

Co-worker Julia Dziamba could not get in. She says she remembers Campbell as "beautiful, fun and lovely."

More On This...

On Monday night, a memorial service was held for the 23-year-old Chinese graduate student killed in the Boston Marathon blasts. She was described at her service as as a sweet-hearted woman passionate about piano, her studies and loving life.

Hundreds of people including Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick attended the service hosted by Boston University. Speakers including Lu Lingzi's father and her roommate say they will never forget the lightness she brought to their lives.

Lu was one of three people killed in Monday's bombings. Boston University has launched a scholarship fund in Lu's name. Lu, from Shenyang, China, studied statistics at the school.

A short drive away from Campbell's funeral, a three-story high American flag hung off the front of Medford City Hall. Red roses and signs in the victim's memory hung from traffic posts in Medford Square, including one that said the late 29-year-old woman was "flying with angels."

A slew of union workers from Teamsters Local 25 filled the sidewalk across from the church, as did members of a motorcycle club and others who wanted to make sure protesters who threatened to picket the church wouldn't disturb Campbell's family.

They chased off one man who held up a sign, said Mike Lynch, a 49-year-old former Boston pub owner who drove to the church from his New Hampshire home to support a family he'd never met.

"Solidarity," he said. "... I came in peace but to tell you the truth, I came with $500 bail money just in case."

After the service, Medford resident Marishi Charles recalled later how the Rev. Hines spoke of Campbell as someone who was never selfish and who loved to smile and dance.

"She was always there for people. As long as Krystle was around, you were OK. These were the words her family wanted you to remember," the 30-year-old said.

The restaurant manager and Medford native had been watching the Patriots' Day athletic spectacle with a girlfriend, and the two had been hoping to capture a photo of the other woman's boyfriend as he finished the race.

"I'll remember her as a fun-loving, giggly woman who pretty much always had a smile on her face," said Sydney Gaudes, a 20-year-old Newton resident who previously had worked for Campbell at Summer Shack restaurant in Cambridge. "I think she would have been very happy to see all these people."

Julia Dziamba, a 21-year-old Newton resident who also had worked for Campbell described her outside the church Monday as beautiful, fun and lovely.

"She never seemed like a manager. She seemed like a friend," she said.

And when Campbell's hearse pulled away from the church around 12:30 p.m., an 11-year-old boy who'd walked back to the church stood alone on a corner across the street and watched it leave.

"Nobody here should have died. Nobody here should have gotten hurt," Michael Sanchez said. "We're all Americans and we're getting killed for no reason. I really shouldn't be hearing the church bells like there's a funeral."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.