A Florida man died this weekend while reportedly trying to remove one of his pet pigeons from a power line by using “a 20-foot aluminum pool pole."
Elian Garcia-Rivera, 36, was electrocuted Saturday in West Palm Beach and found unresponsive near a pigeon coop on his property.
“He attempted to get a pigeon off of the power line in his backyard by using a 20-foot aluminum pool pole,” Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Teri Barbera told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Investigators say Garcia was thrown to the ground after the pole touched the power line. He was then taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.