Defense raises mental health issue, gets trial delay until Jan. 5 in Ohio fire deaths of 9
CLEVELAND – A trial delay has been granted for an Ohio man facing a possible death penalty in a fire that killed a mother and eight children at a birthday sleepover in 2005.
The U.S. attorney's office in Cleveland said Monday that Judge Solomon Oliver informed both sides last week the trial of 26-year-old Antun Lewis will be delayed until Jan. 5. The trial had been scheduled to begin Wednesday.
The defense wants more time to explore whether Lewis is mentally competent to face the death penalty. It says his records show he had learning disabilities.
Lewis' mother says he had nothing to do with the Cleveland fire and was home when it began several blocks away.