THEODORE, Ala. – Seven people are in intensive care a day after an ammonia leak at a coastal Alabama plant that freezes chickens.
About 130 people have sought treatment since ammonia spilled Monday at Millard Refrigerated Services in Theodore, creating a vapor cloud that also caused respiratory problems for people working nearby.
Officials say four people were in ICU at the University of South Alabama Medical Center on Tuesday, and three more were in intensive care at Infirmary West.
Hospitals say people are still showing up with complaints. Many of those taken to hospitals were working with BP's oil spill response along the Theodore Industrial Canal.
Millard Refrigerated Services hasn't commented. A spokesman at company headquarters in Omaha, Neb., did not return phone messages.