4 killed in plane crash near Zion National Park

Authorities on Wednesday were working to recover the bodies of four people who died when their single-engine plane crashed near Zion National Park, the second deadly small-plane crash in southern Utah in less than a week.

The aircraft with four people aboard left North Las Vegas Airport headed for Utah's Bryce Canyon National Park on Tuesday morning, said Mike Fergus of the Federal Aviation Administration.

The company that owns the plane reported it missing when it failed to arrive at its destination, Fergus said.

FAA records show the plane is registered to Hunt Aviation LLC in Las Vegas. A telephone message left Wednesday for Timothy Hunt, the company's registered agent, wasn't returned.

Kane County authorities say the plane crashed at about 3 p.m. Tuesday. An emergency transmitter beacon sent a distress signal that was received by a U.S. Air Force rescue coordination center in Florida. Officials there then contacted the Civil Air Patrol in southern Utah, which launched a plane and found the wreckage on a mountain in a remote area about 18 miles north of Zion National Park.

Efforts to reach the crash site were called off at about 1 a.m. Wednesday and resumed at sunrise.

Authorities said all four people aboard the plane were killed. Their identities hadn't been released.

A Utah High Patrol helicopter had been requested to assist in recovering the bodies.

Fergus said the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will be investigating the cause of the crash.

On Saturday, four men in their 20s were killed when their plane went down at the nearby St. George Municipal Airport.

Security video captured the single-engine Cessna 172 taking off just before it crashed about 300 yards from the runway.

The cause of that crash is still under investigation, but officials believe all four men died on impact.

The wreckage wasn't discovered until more than four hours later because the small airport is not staffed at night.