- Image 1 of 2
- Image 2 of 2
A Metro-North train conductor who penned an apology letter to customers after wrongly telling riders to wait for an express train that was ultimately canceled, will not face disciplinary action, the agency said Tuesday.
The conductor, Michael Shaw, had told passengers Friday at four stations along the Metro-North Railroad to wait for an express train that later was canceled. He says he put 500 copies of his written apology on rail car seats Monday morning.
Marjorie Anders, the spokeswoman, told The New York Post that while the agency "shares his concerns, we do not condone his methods of communicating them."
When asked by FoxNews.com if Shaw faces any possible disciplinary actions, Anders responded in an email: "Not at all."
Shaw said he was upset because he wasn't told the train had been canceled, and because he made a "huge mistake" in telling passengers to trust him and wait for the express train, The New York Post reported.
"I am as sick of apologizing to you as you are of hearing it," he wrote. "Like I tell my kids: It's OK to apologize for something, but it's even more important not to let it happen again."
Shaw, the president of a conductors union whose brother is also a conductor, said he felt a responsibility to apologize and wrote in his note that he was shocked and furious. This is the first time in memory that a conductor apologized to passengers over scheduling, said Jim Cameron, a commuter advocate.
"I've heard conductors make apologies on the PA system for late trains," Cameron told the Post. "But never in 20-plus years as a commuter have I heard of a conductor who cared enough to make a written apology, make hundreds of copies at his own expense, and distribute them to his passengers."
Fox News' Edmund DeMarche and The Associated Press contributed to this report