The Worcester County district attorney says an autopsy is being conducted on the foster child who died after it was reported she and another child were found unresponsive at their foster home.

Joseph D. Early Jr. said at a press conference on Sunday that police are still investigating what happened at the Auburn home.

Early said the children's foster mother called 911 at 12:23 p.m. Saturday, reporting two foster children were unresponsive. He said lifesaving measures were performed on both.

One child died shortly after being taken to the hospital. Early said the other child is still in "very critical" condition.

Early said both children were around the age of 2.

One other foster child and three biological children have been removed from the home. No one has been charged.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

State officials and police are investigating why a foster child died and another has been hospitalized after they were reported unresponsive at their foster home outside of Worcester.

Department of Children and Families spokeswoman Andrea Grossman said in a statement that the DCF is working with law enforcement and conducting its own investigation.

Local police and state police assigned to the Worcester district attorney's office also are investigating what went on Saturday at the duplex in an affordable housing complex home in Auburn, about 5 miles southwest of Worcester and 45 miles southwest of Boston. On Sunday afternoon, police towed a black SUV from the house.

Neighbors said they heard the woman who lives in the home screaming outside at about 1 p.m. Saturday and saw two toddler girls being taken away in an ambulance. Neighbors said the woman cared for six children in the house, three of her own and three foster children.

Sonia Guzman lives across the street. She told reporters her daughter rushed over to help the woman, who was holding an uninjured 6-month-old baby in her arms.

"She's a really good mother with the kids," Guzman said. She added that the woman was planning to adopt some of her foster children.

On Sunday afternoon, neighbors placed a bouquet of flowers, candles and two stuffed toys outside the home.

Elizabeth Guyton, a spokeswoman for Gov. Charlie Baker, said Sunday he "is deeply saddened to learn of this tragic situation and is in constant communication with leadership at DCF and public safety about their ongoing investigation."