Gareth Clear, 36, was riding around Manly Dam in Australia on Sunday when he fell from his bike, landing on his iPhone 6.
Seconds later he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he’d had for just six months ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh.
The burn was so severe he had to undergo skin graft surgery at the burns unit of the Royal North Shore Hospital.
Mr Clear, who is originally from Winchester in Hampshire, U.K., but has lived in Australia for the last six years, said: “It’s a bit random, the thing to be very specific about, the phone did hit the ground, it didn’t just spontaneously combust."
Read more of this story at The Sun.