Chargers OL Dielman retires
San Diego, CA – San Diego Chargers guard Kris Dielman announced his retirement at a Thursday press conference.
Dielman signed with the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2003. The Indiana product switched from a defensive lineman to an offensive lineman.
"This is a celebration," said an emotional Dielman. "I got nine years of playing football."
After spending his first two-plus years as a backup at left guard, Dielman won the starting job prior to the Chargers' third game of the 2005 season. He started 97 of the next 100 games over the next six-plus seasons.
Dielman was diagnosed with a concussion following San Diego's Week 6 game versus the New York Jets last year. He was placed on injured reserve on November 16.
"I gave everything I had," added Dielman. "It ended a little early but it is the right thing to do. I had a blast."
The 31-year-old Dielman ends his NFL career as a four-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time All-Pro. He is also a member of the Chargers' 50th Anniversary All-Time team.
"One thing Kris is going to leave with his teammates here is an example of how you play this game," Chargers head coach Norv Turner said.