Yuca mash is very similar to mash potato with a slightly grainier texture. In this recipe, we've incorporated a huancaina cheese sauce giving it a spicy Peruvian touch.
• 2 ½ pounds yuca root, frozen
• 1 medium to large onion, ½ sliced, ½ chopped
• 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, mashed
• 2 cups white farmer's cheese (queso freso)
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 3/4 cup evaporated milk
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Boil yuca root for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until soft and cooked through.
3. Drain, cool slightly and remove center woody part of root from yuca pieces, if necessary.
4. In a mixing bowl for a mixer, mash yuca thoroughly with a potato masher.
5. While yuca is boiling, prepare Huancaina sauce – in a hot pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sauté chopped onions, mashed garlic and jalapeños for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Using a blender, mix evaporated milk, farmer’s cheese, turmeric and onion mixture until well combined.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
8. In the same frying pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté sliced onions until caramelized, salt and pepper to taste.
9. Add Huancaino sauce to yuca and mix well using the electric mixer.
10. Transfer to serving platter and top with caramelized onions.