University officials says student's phone charger bursts into flames, taken to hospital

Officials at a New Jersey university say a student was taken to the hospital for treatment after his cellphone charger burst into flames on Thursday night.

Officials at Rowan University say the student was in the student center when his cellphone charger caught fire inside his pants pocket.

The student grabbed the charger and a phone that were in the pocket and threw them to the ground, officials say.

The school reported that the student suffered a leg burn.

Officials evacuated the building briefly after the incident.

The make or model of the charger has not been determined.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.