Oklahoma fugitive dies in shootout with police

A massive manhunt for a suspect in a string of violent crimes, including the killing of two relatives, the shooting of two police officers and multiple carjackings, ended Sunday night in a police chase and shootout that left the man dead in Oklahoma.


Michael Dale Vance, Jr., 38, was shot and killed by an Oklahoma state trooper near Leedey in the western part of the state, authorities said. Vance had shot and wounded a Dewey County officer and escaped in a car earlier in the day, according to U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Dave Turk.

Somebody who lived in the area spotted Vance's Mitsubishi Eclipse "partially concealed by tumbleweeds" near the western Oklahoma town of Hammon, Highway Patrol Capt. Paul Timmons said. Investigators said Vance apparently had been living at a makeshift campsite near Hammon, about 100 miles of Oklahoma City.

The Dewey officer suffered non-life threatening injuries, according to The Oklahoman.


Officers pursued Vance for about half an hour when he an Oklahoma state trooper approached him. "There was an exchange of gunfire between the state trooper and the subject, and the subject was killed," Turk said.

Vance was wanted on multiple charges, including two counts of first-degree murder. A search for Vance began after he shot and wounded two police officers with an AK-47 on Oct. 23 in Wellston, 35 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, authorities said.

Vance was suspected of shooting a woman and stealing her vehicle at a mobile home park near Wellston, then driving about 8 miles to his relatives' mobile home in Luther and killing them.

Ronald Everett Wilkson, 55, had been shot and had stab wounds to his neck "consistent with an attempt to sever his head," an arrest affidavit said. Valerie Kay Wilkson, 54, had similar neck wounds along with defensive wounds on her arms, the affidavit stated.

Vance had HIV/AIDS and may have intended to spread the disease, KWTV reported. Vance also apparently recorded two Facebook Live videos documenting his run from police before going to the Wilksons' mobile home, investigators said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.