A look at events leading up to a Fla. girl's suicide; police say she was bullied for months

Here's a timeline of events leading up to the suicide of Rebecca Ann Sedwick, a 12-year-old Lakeland, Fla., girl who police say jumped to her death after being bullied for months by up to 15 girls. The timeline was provided by Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

NOV. 2012

— Bullying begins at Crystal Lake Middle School; Rebecca runs away from home. Sheriff's office and child welfare officials are called.

DEC. 2012

— Rebecca's mother notices cuts on her daughter's right wrist. Rebecca says it was because she was being bullied. She is taken to a hospital and stays for three days. Counseling is set up and she returns to school.

JAN. 24, 2013

— Rebecca's mother calls police after she is bumped in the school hallway. Police are also told a girl wants to fight Rebecca.

School officials talk to both girls and change schedules so they're not in class together. Around this time, Rebecca's mother decides to home-school her daughter for the rest of the year.


— Rebecca starts school at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy. She "loved the school," the sheriff said, but the bullying continued online. Police find comments including "You should die" and "Why don't you go kill yourself."


— Rebecca's mother goes to bed; her daughter is on her cellphone texting. It would be the last time Rebecca's mother saw her alive.


— Rebecca's mother wakes up and her daughter is not there. She believes she has already left for school, which she typically does each day about 6:45 a.m.

— At some point, Rebecca changes one her online screen names to "That Dead Girl."

— At 7:37 a.m.: Rebecca messages a friend in North Carolina on a social media website, saying "I'm jumping, I can't take it anymore." Police said the 12-year-old boy didn't tell anyone.

— About 5:30 p.m.: Rebecca's older sister calls their mother because Rebecca hasn't come home from school.

— At 7 p.m., police began searching for Rebecca.


— 2:30 a.m.: Police find Rebecca's body at an abandoned cement plant where she liked to hang out. Police think she climbed a tower and jumped sometime Monday.