Recipe: Garlicky Chicken Corn Tostadas
One corn tortilla is a healthy source of fiber, with 1.5 g in each small serving.
Fiber is essential for many aspects of your health, particularly digestive health. Fiber helps your bowels digest foods, transport nutrients and eliminate waste.
Fiber may also help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight because it provides a feeling of fullness.
Garlic, our other star ingredient, in studies have shown to protect against various cancers, including breast, prostate and colon cancer.
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 4 oz. grated salsa jack cheese or preference
- Garlic sauce (use 75%)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream
- Chives (optional)
Garlic Sauce Ingredients:
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Pour most of the sauce over chicken and mix well. Leave some sauce for dipping corn tortillas
2. Mix in shredded cheese.
3. Lightly spray a 12 cup cupcake pan with olive oil. Position corn tortilla in the center of each cup and scoop a heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture inside cup. Place in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.
4. Pour about a tablespoon of crema Mexicana.
5. Snip chives over tostada cup and add diced tomatoes.
Served with poached or over medium egg and use egg yolk for dipping tortilla.
To make garlic sauce:
1. Place the garlic, cilantro leaves, lime juice, and white vinegar in a blender or food processor and puree.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan until hot. Remove pan from heat. Pour the garlic and cilantro mixture into the hot oil and whisking briskly for about a minute.
Makes 12 tostada cups.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino