Creating a hotter sex life doesn’t have to mean watching dirty movies or filling up the drawer with goodies. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that). But, it can also mean raising the sensuality factor in your everyday life. Of course, that can be tough when kids and pets and household duties abound.
So, why not look to the arts for a little inspiration? Art is, or at least can be, all about expression and sensuality. And it can be an ideal way to tap into your sexuality, too. Some call sex “the art of lovemaking.” That’s because it’s not just about biology. Sure, naked bodies are nice and all, but great sex is about the artfulness in the doing.
Here are five ways to bring the art back to the bedroom.
1. Visit a museum together – Spending the day immersed in color and exploring the human form is a fabulous way to click the sensuality switch in your brain to the on position. Even if art isn’t generally your “thing,” it can’t hurt to give it a whirl. Holding hands while walking through a gallery or wandering through a sculpture garden pointing out the pieces that speak to you is a fantastic way to connect with your partner in a real sensory way.
2. Photograph or draw one another – You don’t have to be any good at it. The point is to look at one another – really look – for a change. The color of your partner’s skin. How he or she looks in the light of the morning or the shadow of the afternoon. And the chance to examine one another goes both ways. The muse can often become as inspired as the one doing the painting or photographing. Being gazed upon by the right “artist” can make a person feel very sexy.
3. Finger paint together – It may sound silly. But the feel of paint is very sensual. And getting your hands into it together can make it even more so. You don’t even have to use standard finger paint and paper either. All kinds of things in the kitchen can fit the bill, making clean-up a lot tastier. (Think chocolate pudding and whipped cream).
4. Take a pottery class – Working with clay can be a very sensual experience. (Don’t make me mention that scene in "Ghost" again…) Taking a class together can be great fun. But even taking it alone can leave you inspired. There’s something about the texture of clay and the way it moves through your hands that can put you in a very erotic state of mind.
5. Make yourselves into works of art – Try chocolate body paint and a soft brush or chocolate sauce and your fingers. Or opt for paintable latex or body-safe paint and get really creative. Make a rule – No fooling around, only painting, until your living work of art is done. A long “drawn-out” tease between “painter” and “canvas” is sure to lead to a masterpiece between the sheets.
Improving your sex life, or even maintaining a thriving sex life, demands focus. And art is an ideal focal point for that pursuit. Plus, there are so many different kinds of art, that there is sure to be something for everyone. Whether it’s looking at it or creating it, art is inspiring. It inspires some to create more art. It inspires others to do good works, invent marvels, or even to heal people. The key word is inspire.
And nothing holds a candle to truly inspired sex. So why not seek sensual revelation in the world of art? The only thing you have to lose is the key to a world of great sex.
Jenny Block is a freelance writer based in Dallas. She is the author of "Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage." Her work appears in "One Big Happy Family," edited by Rebecca Walker and "It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters," edited by Andrea Buchanan. Visit her website at www.jennyonthepage.com or check out her blog at www.jennyonthepage.blogspot.com.