3 protesters wounded in Kashmir after Indian security forces open fire

SRINAGAR, India (AP) — Paramilitary soldiers fired live ammunition to disperse anti-India protesters and wounded three people after residents accused troops of attacking their homes in India's portion of Kashmir on Thursday.

The protests erupted in Soura neighborhood of Indian Kashmir's main city Srinagar and those hurt belonged to one family, said a police officer on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media.

"They came to our homes, broke windows and trained their guns at us," said resident Mohammed Abdullah. "All of us came out and protested this aggressive and bullying act. But they fired on us."

Anti-India sentiment runs deep in Kashmir, which is divided between Hindu-majority India and Pakistan, but claimed by both in its entirety. Protesters reject Indian sovereignty over Kashmir and want to form a separate country or merge with predominantly Muslim Pakistan.

An 8-year-old boy wounded last week in firing by troops in the southern town of Anantnag died in a hospital on Thursday, taking the death toll to 60 in the last two months of demonstrations and clashes between the Indian forces and Kashmiri people.

Also Thursday, the Indian army accused Pakistani soldiers of violating a 2003 cease-fire by firing at Indian positions along the Line of Control dividing Kashmir between them. No casualties were reported, said Brig. S. Chawla, a senior Indian army officer.

Pakistani troops fired mortars and heavy machine guns at Indian positions for nearly two hours in Poonch district, he said, adding Indian soldiers returned fire.

Pakistan army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas denied the allegation, saying Indian troops opened fire without any provocation. Pakistan immediately sought a meeting between local commanders and the Indian side agreed, he said.

The cease-fire is generally holding between the hostile neighbors who have fought two wars over control of Kashmir since they won independence from Britain in 1947.

Clashes between government forces and protesters erupted in Srinagar's Rainawari neighborhood on Thursday as hundreds of residents defied a curfew.

Police and paramilitary soldiers fired warning shots in the air and tear gas to disperse the rock-throwing protesters, said the police officer. There were no casualties.

The deadly unrest against Indian rule, which began in June, shows no signs of easing despite the deployment of thousands of troops and calls from the Indian prime minister for calm.