Ashburn, VA (SportsNetwork.com) - The Washington Redskins have decided to pick up the 2016 contract option for quarterback Robert Griffin III.
The Redskins faced a deadline of early May to make the decision on the former NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and general manager Scot McCloughan said the team had done so awhile back and decided to announce it Monday.
"He's a good football player," said McCloughan at a pre-draft press conference on Monday.
Griffin, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, missed several weeks last season because of a dislocated ankle and led the Redskins to a record of 2-5 in his seven starts. He played in nine games overall and threw for 1,694 yards with four touchdowns and six interceptions.
There had been speculation concerning Griffin's status for 2015, let alone 2016, but head coach Jay Gruden said during the NFL Combine in February that Griffin would be the team's starting quarterback heading into the upcoming season.
Despite that assertion, McCloughan on Monday said Griffin's status does not affect how the team will approach this week's draft. He said the team will pick the best player, whether it's a quarterback or not, with the fifth overall choice in the first round on Thursday.
Griffin led the Redskins to a surprise NFC East title as rookie in 2012, then tore an ACL in his right knee during the playoffs. He struggled in his second season after what some perceived to be a rushed recovery to start the 2013 campaign before the ankle injury again slowed his progress last year.