Red Sox announce Sandoval signing

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - The Boston Red Sox have confirmed that the team has come to terms with 2012 World Series MVP Pablo Sandoval on a five- year contract.

Multiple media outlets reported Monday that the former San Francisco Giants third baseman had agreed to a five-year deal worth $95 million with the Red Sox, who also landed three-time All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez with a four- year, $88-million contract that the club has yet to announce.

According to Boston radio station WEEI, Sandoval's pact also includes a $17 million team option for the 2020 season. The two-time All-Star received a $3 million bonus and will earn $17 million in each of the next three seasons and $18 million in 2018 and 2019.

Sandoval will become Boston's new third baseman after spending six full seasons manning the position in San Francisco, where the 28-year-old emerged into a proven performer in the clutch as well as one of the Giants' most popular players.

"I need a new challenge," Sandoval said during his introductory press conference on Tuesday. "I'm happy to be here right now, I'm going to enjoy this ballpark."

In 869 games for the Giants since 2008, Sandoval is a .294 hitter with 192 doubles, 106 homers and 462 runs batted in. He batted .279 with 16 homers and 73 RBI in 157 games this past season.

Sandoval has been an incredibly clutch performer in postseason play, owning a .344 career average in 39 playoff games. He hit .366 for the Giants in the 2014 postseason, including .429 in the World Series victory over Kansas City last month.

"There was a lot about Pablo that appealed to us," Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington stated. "This was an opportunity to add a really great player, a great person, and a great fit for our team at a position we need."

By adding Sandoval and Ramirez, who won the NL batting title in 2009 with the Marlins, the Red Sox are trying to revamp an offense that tied for the second-worst batting average in the American League last season at .244, had the second-worst slugging percentage at .369 and scored just 634 runs, better than only three other teams.

The Giants had corroborated the reports of Sandoval's departure by releasing a statement on Monday that wished one of the team's most popular players well.

"Pablo Sandoval has been a key member of the Giants since breaking into the majors with us in 2008," said the statement. "He has been with us through some of the greatest moments in San Francisco Giants history -- including all three World Series championships. We will never forget his World Series MVP performance in 2012 and his numerous contributions to the 2014 championship. His connection with Giants fans -- young and old -- is truly special and he will be greatly missed. We wish him nothing but the best in Boston."

Catcher/first baseman Ryan Lavarnway was designated for assignment to make room for Sandoval on the 40-man roster. The 27-year-old hit just .201 in 97 games with Boston over the past four seasons.