DETROIT – John Kuester's job is safe for now.
The Detroit Pistons won't make an immediate decision about Kuester's fate with the franchise, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on Thursday morning. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team had not announced its plans regarding the embattled coach.
The Pistons finished 30-52 this season with a win at Philadelphia on Wednesday night, and he was asked Kuester about his future with the franchise.
"I really haven't thought about it," Kuester said.
Kuester's record is 57-107 over two years with Detroit, which failed to make the postseason in consecutive seasons for the first time since missing it three straight times from 1993-95.
The Pistons might get a makeover this offseason after Tom Gores, who reached an agreement last week to buy the team, assesses what he wants to do with his franchise.
Kuester was hired in 2009 after two seasons as an assistant with Cleveland. He was also a member of Larry Brown's championship-winning staff in 2004 with the Pistons. But his familiarity with at least some of the Pistons was of little help as the team began to look increasingly dysfunctional late in his tenure.
He and Richard Hamilton had a falling out that sent the veteran guard to the bench for most of a seven-week stretch. The two appeared to be on better terms toward the end, but there was plenty of other drama.
Every healthy player started at least one game this season, and all of them except Ben Gordon didn't play at least once. The low point seemed to be on Feb. 25 in Philadelphia, where players missed at least part of a team shootaround and Kuester played just the other six in a blowout loss to the 76ers.
AP Sports Writers Noah Trister in Detroit and Dan Gelston in Philadelphia contributed to this report.