Woman Sues PETCO After Dog Dies From Cage Dryer

A California woman is suing PETCO after her dog suffered fatal injuries from being placed in a cage dryer, NEWS10/KXTV reported.

Teresa Gilland dropped her dog Sadie off for her monthly grooming appointment at the PETCO store in Fair Oaks—where Sadie experienced heat stroke, internal bleeding and burns after being in a cage dryer at the store. She had to be euthanized at the veterinary office later that evening because of her extreme injuries.

"I couldn't have known," Gilland said. "It never occurred to me that they were putting her in that kennel. It's nothing you can see... it's not out there for the public to see. It's an enclosed kennel, and they blow hot air in there."

There has been controversy about cage dryers in the past, but Gilland is the first known court case in the U.S. Since Sadie’s death three years ago, Gillian has spent two years trying to find a lawyer that would take the case, and is armed with a report from the veterinarian who treated Sadie, stating she suffered “internal burn injuries and bleeding caused by heat.”

Gilliand hopes she can get cage driers banned, but said consumers should at least see a posted warning when they drop off their pet.

PETCO released the following statement in regards to Sadie's death:

We've been aware of Sadie's story since it happened three years ago. We can't comment on the case, as it's currently in litigation, but it was a tragic loss and we take all issues of pet safety very seriously. Over the last few years, we've made a number of improvements in the grooming equipment we use and we are always seeking to improve our existing safety practices. One of those improvements is that we no longer use heat of any kind in the drying process in our grooming salons.

Click here to read more from NEWS10/KXTV.