Police Officer Dies After Janitor Sprays Cleaning Fluid on Desk

A police officer died as a result of inhaling fumes from an aerosol-sprayed cleaning substance at a Chicago police station where he worked, according to autopsy results cited late Tuesday by The Chicago Tribune.

Father-of-two Kevin Robinson told colleagues he began coughing and having breathing problems in March after the spray was squirted onto a desk near him by a maintenance worker at the Morgan Park district station.

He was later admitted to a hospital, released then readmitted when the condition worsened, with his lungs all but shutting down, the newspaper said. The 42-year-old was placed in a medically induced coma and died in early April.

Autopsy results released by the Cook County medical examiner's office said Robinson died of a lung illness from inhaling the noxious fumes and ruled his death an accident.

Click here to read more.