The variety of fresh vegetables used in pico de gallo is full of antioxidants. The garlic and onions act as blood thinners and contain anti-inflammatory properties which can protect you against cardiovascular disease. It’s a filling meal enjoyed both warm and cold.
1. 1 ½ cups tomatoes, diced and seeded (we like to use plum tomatoes)
2. ¼ cup red onion, diced
3. 1-2 tablespoons jalapeños, diced (depending on your heat preference)
4. 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
5. 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
6. 2 limes, juiced
7. Salt and pepper to taste
8. 2 ½ to 3 pounds roasted chicken, shredded
9. 6 pita pockets or 3 rounds cut in half
1. To prepare pico de gallo, chop the first five ingredients then combine.
2. Add lime juice then salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. While it is still warm but cool enough to handle, shred chicken. Then combine with chunky pico de gallo.
4. Stuff 6 pita pockets and serve.
Tip: Chunky pico de gallo is also great with eggs and grilled steaks.
Makes 6 over stuffed pitas.