Pic shows: The sleeping platforms in the classroom and the hanging quilt
A young boy has died in a freak nap time accident at his nursery school after ropes on a blanket became tangled around his neck.
The four-year-old surnamed Lin was one of several young pupils who were resting in the Shuangqiao Mingzhu Kindergarten classroom after lunch and is believed to have suffocated by himself.
According to the childâs teacher, the boy was found without breath sounds at 2pm when nap time ended, and he was confirmed dead after being rushed to hospital in Xiamen City, in East Chinaâs Fujian Province.
The nursery school said thin ropes attached to the classroomâs quilts - specially designed to be rolled up and easily carried - had somehow become wrapped around the childâs neck when dangling from above.
The school said the boy, who was sleeping on the lower of two platforms, most likely lost consciousness and later died of asphyxiation shortly after.
Investigators have already ruled out murder and manslaughter from the tragic case, but are now looking into the matter and could charge the teacher and the school principal with negligence.
The teacher claimed to have been too distracted by all the other pupils in class and did not pay special attention to the young victim, whose post-mortem photographs show clear signs of bruising around his neck.
It is unclear whether the nursery school has offered to compensate the Lin family for their tragic loss.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Staff at a nursery school in China are mourning the death of one of their children after the boy suffocated to death during his post-lunch nap.
Employees at Shuangqiao Mingzhu Kindergerten in East China’s Fujian Province found the boy, identified only by his surname, Lin, unconscious and not breathing one afternoon when naptime ended, AsiaWire (AWR) reported. At the hospital, doctors confirmed him dead.
According to the school, the classroom’s quilts have thin ropes attached to them to make the blankets easy to roll up and carry. The ropes were dangling above the boy when they somehow attached themselves to the boy’s neck as he slept on the lower of two platforms.
AWR reported the boy likely lost consciousness and died of asphyxiation shortly after.
The nursery school teacher claimed they were distracted by other students and didn’t pay attention to Lin. It is unknown whether the school has offered to compensate the family for their loss.
Stay up-to-date on the biggest health and wellness news with our weekly recap.