Amish Mother Dies After Treating Burns With Home Remedy

A severely burned Amish woman, treated with home remedies for two days before her family called 911, died of the infected burns, a county coroner said on Thursday.

Ella Miller, 32, was heating water for laundry over a wood fire at her family's house in western Pennsylvania when her clothes caught fire as she was adding kerosene to the blaze, a report by Indiana County Coroner Michael Baker said, according to a spokeswoman.

After the accident in Smicksburg on Monday morning, Miller -- a mother of six children, ages 1 to 14 -- asked friends and family to treat her injuries at home, the report said. They applied home remedies before calling 911 on Wednesday morning.

An ambulance arrived, but paramedics realized they would be unable to revive her and called the coroner's office, the report said. Miller's body was taken to a hospital, where doctors performed an exam and X-rays but not an autopsy as foul play was not suspected.

The coroner's report said Miller had suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns but also developed septicemia, an overwhelming infection and suffered electrolyte imbalances that contributed to her death.

A phone number for Miller's family could not immediately be found.