Boy Survivor of Libya Crash Not Told Family's Dead

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

TRIPOLI, Libya -- A Dutch Foreign Ministry official says the boy who was the sole survivor of a Libyan plane crash that killed 103 people has not yet been told that his parents and older brother were killed.

The official, Ed Kronenburg, identified the boy as Ruben van Assouw, 9, and said his mother, father and older brother Enzo, 11, all apparently died in the crash of a Libyan airliner Wednesday as it was landing in the capital Tripoli. He said the family had been on vacation in South Africa to celebrate the parents' 12 1/2- year wedding anniversary -- a Dutch tradition. The flight was arriving from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Kronenburg said Thursday he visited Ruben in the hospital and he is awake and talking, but dizzy from anesthesia after undergoing surgery.

The Libyan plane was arriving from South Africa Wednesday when it crashed minutes before landing at the airport in Libya's capital Tripoli.

Dr. Hameeda al-Saheli, the head of the pediatric unit at the Libyan hospital where the boy is being treated, said he is breathing normally and his vital organs are intact. She told the official Libyan news agency he suffered four fractures in his legs and lost a lot of blood, but his neck, skull and brain were not affected and he did not suffer internal bleeding.

More On This...

"As soon as his health permits he will be brought to the Netherlands," the Dutch Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Officials at al-Khadra hospital said three Westerners visiting the boy Thursday were his relatives. The Dutch Foreign Ministry said the boy's aunt and uncle were in Tripoli. The hospital officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to release the information.

Libyan television showed images on Wednesday of the boy laying on a hospital bed after the crash, breathing through an oxygen mask with his head bandaged and face bruised and swollen.

The Airbus A330-200 was completing a more than seven-hour flight across the African continent from Johannesburg when it crashed. About half of the crash victims were Dutch tourists who had been vacationing in South Africa.

Officials had no immediate explanation for how the boy survived the crash that killed everyone else on the plane.

But there have been at least five cases this decade of a single survivor in a commercial plane crash. Last summer, a young girl was found clinging to wreckage 13 hours after a plane went down in the water off the Comoros Islands.

"The idea of a lone survivor might seem a fluke, but it has happened several times," said Patrick Smith, an American airline pilot and aviation author.

In a field near the Tripoli airport runway, little was left of the Afriqiyah Airbus.

Libya's transport minister, Mohammed Zaidan, said the plane's two black boxes had been found and turned over to analysts. He said the cause of the crash was under investigation, but authorities had ruled out a terrorist attack.

Afriqiyah Airways said Flight 771 was carrying 93 passengers and 11 crew.

It said the passengers included 58 Dutch, six South Africans, two Libyans, two Austrians, one German, one Zimbabwean, one French and two British. The nationality of 19 more passengers have yet to be established, it said in a later statement. All 11 crew members were Libyan, it added.

Many of the passengers were booked to travel from Tripoli on to other destinations in Europe.

More than 600 A330s have been built since the type entered service in 1994. The Afriqiyah crash is only the second fatal accident involving an A330 in airline service. The other was the crash of Air France flight 447 a year ago off the coast of Brazil.

But last month, an A330 belonging to Cathay Pacific was forced to make an emergency landing in Hong Kong because of engine trouble. Fifty-seven passengers suffered mostly slight injuries in the ensuing evacuation.

The Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department said control problems with the two Rolls-Royce engines forced the Airbus to land at a higher-than-normal speed, damaging an engine cowling, puncturing the tires and causing a small fire in the wheelwell.

The pilots reported that they were unable to get the engines to function normally, and that during the approach and landing phase one was operating at 17 percent of thrust while the other was stuck at 70 percent.