Baby Dies After Hospital Flushed His Body With Alcohol

A baby boy died in an Ohio hospital after medics flushed his system with alcohol instead of saline solution during surgery, reported Thursday.

The terrible mistake happened as seven-month-old Tressel Meinardi underwent heart surgery at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center on August 21.

Hospital bosses alerted Hamilton County Coroner's Office, which is now investigating.

The injection of alcohol caused organ failure in the baby, from Richmond, Ind.

"There's no question a mistake was made," Coroner O'dell Owens said. "The family knows the alcohol was the cause of death."

He added that the hospital was "very upfront" and said he now had to find out how the bungle occurred.