Sabres rout Penguins to end skid

Derek Roy tallied twice to go with an assist game losing skid with a 6-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Paul Gaustad, Drew Stafford and Tyler Ennis also netted goals for the Sabres, who got 24 saves from Ryan Miller. Christian Ehrhoff had three helpers.

Brent Johnson allowed three goals on 12 shots before being pulled in favor of Marc-Andre Fleury, who also let up three tallies on 12 shots.

Deryk Engelland and Jordan Staal provided the goals for the Penguins, who had won three of four coming in.

"It was a bad game for us, especially going down 2-0 in the beginning. It's tough to come back and after that we had a lot of penalties," Penguins defenseman Kris Letang said.

The Sabres netted two quick goals on two of their first three shots on net in the opening 4:16 of the first period. Pominville recorded the first tally just 52 seconds after the game's opening faceoff, while Roy followed with a backhander to make it 2-0.

"Leads are so tough to get that once you do get them, you got to do a good job with them. And I thought tonight we did real good," Pominville said.

Gaustad lit the lamp early in the second period to make it 3-0. Johnson fought off Nathan Gerbe's wraparound attempt, but Gaustad was in front to put home the rebound.

Engelland's one-timer from the left point pulled the Penguins back within two just 47 seconds later.

Near scoring chances highlighted the rest of the period.

Evgeni Malkin nearly brought the Pens within one minutes later, but Miller made a stellar left pad save on his breakaway attempt. Midway through the frame, Gerbe's one-timer on a wide-open net ricocheted sharply off the left post.

Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta was awarded a penalty shot after Chris Kunitz threw his stick at the puck, but Fleury made a glove save to keep it a 3-1 game. While on the power play at the 13:04 mark, Ehrhoff's slap shot from the high slot stung the crossbar.

Staal's backhander on the power play at the 5:05 mark of the third sneaked through the pads of Miller and barely crossed the goal line to make it 3-2, but Buffalo regained its two-goal advantage 1:05 later on Stafford's wraparound.

Roy netted a short-handed tally at 8:32 and Ennis lit the lamp late in the frame to conclude the scoring.