Minnesota Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino has agreed to an extension that adds one year to hisexisting agreement and will keep him under contract through the 2021-22 season, the program announced Wednesday.
- Gophers, Pitino agree to contract extension through 2022
- Gophers' Myrick drafted in seventh round by Jacksonville
- Projecting where Minnesota Gophers could go in 2017 NFL Draft
- McLeod hockey blog: Gopher men's hockey names Tyler Sheehy captain for 2017-18 season
- McLeod blog: Gophers Potulny new head coach at Northern Michigan
After an eight-win season in 2015-16, Pitino rallied his program toa 24-win season and its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 2013. The Gophers' 11-7 record in the Big Ten was the best conference record for Minnesota since 1989-90.
I am extremely grateful to be the head coach at such a prestigious university," Pitino said in a press release. "The future of Gopher basketball is very bright and I am excited to be a part of it.
Through four seasons leading the Gophers, Pitino has posted a 75-61 overall record.