Spaghetti squash, like other richly colored vegetables, provide an excellent source of carotenes. Studies have shown that, due to their carotene properties, this winter squash exerts a protective effect against many cancers, particularly lung cancer. Compliment with a lean ground chicken breast meatball packed with bold flavors.
• 2 pounds ground chicken
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoons ground pepper
• ½ cup bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoon ketchup
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 egg
• 3 pound spaghetti squash
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 6 cups chicken stock
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
• 20 (approx) olives with stuffed pimento, finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves
1. Using your hands, mix all ingredients for chicken meatballs (except squash) until well-combined.
2. Shape into meatballs and place in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then turn and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
3. While baking meatballs, prepare curry broth. In a deep cast iron or heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and tomato paste. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then add remaining broth ingredients and cook until it comes to a boil.
4. Add baked meatballs and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. To prepare spaghetti squash, first pierce all over with a sharp knife and place in a 375 degree oven.
6. Let cool for 10-15 minutes or until you can handle with bare hands. Cut in half and scoop out seeds.
7. With a fork scrape from one end to the other directly onto plates.
8. Discard bay leaves. Pour curry broth and chicken meatballs over spaghetti and serve.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.