BELLAIRE, Ohio – Officials at a Catholic school in eastern Ohio say it's not clear why 13 students and the principal suddenly suffered nausea, headaches and eye irritation.
The illnesses on Thursday prompted the evacuation of St. John Central High School in Bellaire. The school will be closed Friday so its air quality can be tested.
Multiple media outlets report sickened students and Principal Sheila Blackmore were taken to hospitals to be evaluated. There were no reports of any serious medical problems.
Schools director Paul Ward with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Steubenville says authorities on Thursday detected no elevated levels of natural gas or carbon monoxide in the building. He says the reactions may have been to something in the air that came in from outside.