LONDON -- The head of Scotland Yard's electronic crime division says police thwarted an attack on Britain's royal wedding website in April.
Det. Supt. Charlie McMurdie told a London cybersecurity conference on Tuesday that action was taken to safeguard the site, which streamed the event live to the world, but gave few other details.
When asked about McMurdie's comments a Scotland Yard spokesman said a 16-year-old had been arrested on Oct. 10 in relation to "a suspected attempt to encourage others to commit a distributed denial-of-service attack."
Such attacks work by bombarding websites with bogus traffic in an attempt to overwhelm them.
The spokesman says the teenager is out on bail and has yet to be charged. He spoke anonymously in line with force policy.