Hurricane Matthew relief effort in Haiti enters new phase
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – An international relief effort for victims of Hurricane Matthew in Haiti is entering a more advanced stage.
A second U.S. military ship arrived offshore Thursday to help with relief efforts from a storm that the Haitian government says killed nearly 500 people. U.N. convoys and non-government organizations are also now reaching some previously cut-off communities in the ruggedly scenic southwestern peninsula.
U.S. Agency for International Development official David Harden said Thursday that helicopters brought 159 metric tons of food to hard-to-reach areas the day before.
The storm that roared across southern Haiti a little over a week ago has posed particular challenges because of its scope and the fact that the storm cut off many communities.
Many people say they have not received any help at all.