Vanderbilt upsets No. 22 St. Mary's 89-70

John Jenkins and Jeffery Taylor both scored 19 points and Vanderbilt upset No. 22 Saint Mary's 89-70 to snap the Gaels' 11-game winning streak Saturday in the last non-conference game for both teams.

Vanderbilt (14-4) improved to 3-1 against the Top 25 this season and 2-0 against the Gaels. The Commodores won their second straight by closing out the first half with a 21-5 run and with sizzling shooting from beyond the arc (11-of-22).

Saint Mary's (17-3) hadn't lost since Dec. 1 to then-No. 17 San Diego State, and this loss is a tough end to a week when the Gaels moved into the rankings for the first time since Jan. 26, 2006.

Brad Tinsley had a season-high 18 for Vandy. Lance Goulbourne had 15 points and 10 rebounds for his second straight double-double.

Matthew Dellavedova lead the Gaels with 19 points. Rob Jones had 15, and Stephen Holt 11.

Mitchell Young came in as the West Coast Conference's top shooter at 64 percent averaging 10.5 points a game. He took only one shot and had no points before fouling out with 7:05 left. Mickey McConnell fouled out with 3:20 to go after scoring only six points. He had averaged 16.5 over his previous 11 games.

Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings improved to 104-8 against non-Southeastern Conference opponents at Memorial Gym, and he had a soldout crowd cheering loudly once his Commodores took control of this one. The Commodores also outrebounded Saint Mary's 39-27.

Saint Mary's didn't even get to the free throw line in the first half. Vanderbilt nearly had more chances the line in the first half (11-of-13) than the Gaels finished with for the game (12-of-15). The Commodores finished 26-of-32 for a season-high 81.3 percent shooting at the line.

The opening minutes looked like this would be a tight game with five ties and four lead changes. Vanderbilt missed five of its first six shots. Saint Mary's didn't have a problem with the early tipoff despite having flown in from California, hitting nine of the first 11 shots with Jones' 3 putting them up 19-13 with 12:56 left.

But Jones also woke up the Commodores when called for a technical as he hung on the rim trying to slam back through the dunk he had just missed with 7:29 remaining and Saint Mary's up 23-22.

Jenkins, the SEC's leading scorer, hit the second free throw for his first point of the game to tie it up. He then came back with a 3 to put Vandy ahead to stay. Steve Tchiengang added a 3, then Jenkins hit another 3 that started the 21-5 run as the Commodores lead 43-28 at halftime.

The Gaels never got closer than five in the second half, the last midway through the half on a three-point play by McConnell. Vandy just kept adding to its lead and was up by 21 late.