Two ex-Vandy football players convicted of rape

A jury has found two former Vanderbilt football players guilty on all counts for their participation in an on-campus rape during June of 2013.

Cory Batey and Brandon Vandenburg were each convicted on four charges of aggravated rape, one of attempted aggravated rape and two for aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg was also found guilty of tampering with evidence as well as an unlawful photography charge.

Both are scheduled for sentencing on March 6. Two other former players, Brandon Banks and Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie, are still awaiting trial as part of the case.

The incident occurred in Vandenburg's dorm room, with the victim then a 21- year student who has since graduated from the university.

All four players, none of which ever appeared in a game for the Commodores, were suspended by the school shortly after the investigation took place.

Assistant district attorney Jan Norman read a prepared statement, which The Tennessean transcribed, from the victim after the verdicts were announced.

"Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout this difficult process," the statement began. "I'm thankful that the criminal justice system will hold the defendants responsible for their violent crimes. The hard work of the law enforcement officers, prosecutors and victims' advocates who dedicated so many months of their lives to this case has made justice possible. You are my heroes and I am so proud of and grateful for each of you.

"I am also hopeful that the publicity this case has received will lead to a discussion of how we can end sexual violence on college campuses. Finally, I want to remind other victims of sexual violence: You are not alone. You are not to blame."

Batey was a redshirt freshman safety and Vandenburg a junior college transfer from California that was expected to compete for a starting role at tight end. Banks was a sophomore cornerback and McKenzie a redshirt freshman wide receiver.

McKenzie testified during Batey and Vandenburg's trial, stating that he had no physical contact with the victim but was in the room taking pictures.