PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The United States has decided to suspend financial assistance to Haiti's electoral officials as they redo a presidential vote marred by fraud.
U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby told reporters Thursday that the decision did not "signal a reduction of our support for the Haitian people."
He says Washington simply does not plan on spending additional taxpayer money for two additional electoral rounds in Haiti. The U.S. contributed $33 million for Haiti's electoral cycle that started last year.
But earlier this year, electoral officials announced that a new presidential election would have to be held in October because fraud marred last year's voting.
Meanwhile, Haiti's fragmented Parliament is continuing to block a vote on the latest leadership disorder in the troubled country.