PARIS – The Latest on the wildfires in Europe (all times local):
Greek authorities think arson could be behind a series of fires fire raging on several fronts on the western Greek island of Zakynthos.
The country's fire service says there are "well-founded suspicions of foul play" after five fires broke out late Saturday and early Sunday, followed by another three on Sunday morning.
Justice Minister Stavros Kontonis, who is also the local Parliament member, said of the multiple blazes while visiting the island: "This is planned."
The fire service said 10 of the 12 fires burning on Zakynthos are still unchecked, with high winds making it difficult to control the flames. A fire brigade commander says they have consumed mostly forests and olive groves so far.
A total of 53 wildfires broke out in Greece on Saturday and more did on Sunday, including on a beach resort near Athens.
France's interior minister has expressed his "profound gratitude" to the 1,200 firefighters and emergency workers battling wildfires in southern France and Corsica over the weekend.
Gerard Collomb said there been no casualties from the fires thanks to ground crews and the air teams that carried out 300 water drops in 24 hours.
Fierce flames have ravaged some 2,100 hectares (5,190 acres) of land since Thursday in southern France — with 2,000 hectares (4,940 acres) burned in Corsica alone.
Collomb says that while the mainland fires had been tamed, the Corsica blazes were ongoing and still require "major means."
On Sunday, firefighters continued to fight wildfires in the Corsican towns of Manso and the hilly Pietracorbara.
Northern Corsica Prefect Gerard Gavory says over 1,000 thousand residents and tourists have been evacuated.