Britain's defense ministry says two Iraqis will stand trial for murders of 6 UK troops
LONDON – LONDON (AP) — Britain's defense ministry says two suspects will stand trial in Iraq for the killing of six military policemen in 2003.
A total of eight suspects had been detained over the killings, when a 400-strong Iraqi mob descended on a police station in Majar al-Kabir, southern Iraq, in June 2003 and murdered the British troops.
The ministry said Sunday that armed forces minister Nick Harvey has written to families of the men to inform them that the cases against five suspects have been dropped. An eighth suspect was released last year.
"The U.K. government is committed to seeing the killers brought to justice," Harvey wrote in his letter to the families.
A total of 179 British troops died in Iraq during Britain's six year mission, which ended last July.