Bahrain ex-editors plead not guilty in press trial
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Three former top editors of Bahrain's main opposition newspaper have pleaded not guilty to charges of unethical coverage of Shiite-led opposition protests against the kingdom's Sunni rulers.
Former chief editor Mansoor al-Jamri told The Associated Press the journalists entered their pleas and defense lawyers requested copies of prosecutors' documents in a brief hearing at Bahrain's Higher Criminal Court on Wednesday.
Bahrain's official news agency has previously said the top editors of Al Wasat newspaper were charged with "publishing fabricated news," ''harming public safety" and "damaging national interests" during the unrest that erupted earlier this year.
The case was adjourned until June 15.