Shane Doan scored a power-play goal at 3:05 of overtime and the Phoenix Coyotes beat the Calgary Flames 2-1 on Thursday night to extend their winning streak to a season-high four games.

Doan's game-winner came 58 seconds after Calgary's Mikael Backlund was called for tripping. With the victory, Phoenix moved into the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Flames defenseman Blair Jones was hit by a shot in front during the overtime power play and was left ineffective. With essentially two Calgary defenders on the ice, Doan was set up by Radim Vrbata at the left faceoff circle and ripped a one-timer past goalie Leland Irving.

Calgary scored the tying goal on Olli Jokinen's tip-in just more than 4 minutes into the third period.

Tyler Pyatt scored less than 8 minutes into the game to stake Phoenix to an early lead. Mike Smith finished with 23 saves.

At the start, the Coyotes benefited from Irving's long layoff. In his first appearance since Jan. 5 and first start since Dec. 30, the Flames' goalie showed his rust.

With the game scoreless near the halfway mark of the opening period, Irving faced a 2-on-1 Coyotes rush. Leaning back in the crease, he allowed Pyatt's wrist shot to trickle off his pads and into the net.

Pyatt's seventh of the season put Phoenix in front 7:43 into the game.

Late in the first, Jarome Iginla came close to tying the game. In alone on Smith, he held the puck just long enough for defenseman Keith Yandle to force Iginla wide, and there was no shot on net.

The Flames lost a key part of their offense when Alex Tanguay, third on the team in scoring, left midway through the opening period. His was struck on the cheek with a puck in front of the Phoenix net and left the ice immediately.

That forced Calgary coach Brett Sutter to juggle his lineup.

Mike Cammalleri, acquired in a trade from Montreal on Jan. 12, replaced Tanguay and joined a line with Iginla and Jokinen. Sutter started the second period with Iginla between Jokinen and Tom Kostopoulos. Eventually, Tanguay, wearing a full face mask, rejoined the line with Iginla and Jokinen 5 minutes into the second period.

The near air-tight Phoenix defense limited the Flames to four shots through 12 minutes of play and spent the night clearing pucks and bodies from in front of the net. That enabled Smith to make routine saves and keep Calgary off the scoreboard.

Before Jokinen's tying goal, Smith's biggest challenge came late in the second period when he stopped Tanguay in front during a Flames power play.

Notes: Pyatt's goal was his third in his last 27 games. ... Smith appeared in his 43rd game of the season, a career high.