Anti-Wall Street Protesters March Past Millionaires' New York City Homes

Hundreds of protesters in the Occupy Wall Street movement are swarming midtown Manhattan for what they call a "Millionaires March" that is passing the homes of New York City's wealthiest residents, including News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch, JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon and oil tycoon David Koch.

Protesters expressed concern about how much less the wealthy will pay -- and who would be negatively affected -- when New York's 2 percent "millionaires' tax" expires in December.

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, a Democrat, isn’t likely to join the movement any time soon.

Rendell says the protesters, who have launched demonstrations across the country, need to “get on with your lives.”

“Look, I don’t agree with their message,” he told conservative radio host Laura Ingraham on Monday. “I mean the guys in Philadelphia said they’re going to be here all winter. Well, that’s silly. You’ve made your point, you’ve gotten about all the publicity you’re going to get.”

“Now get on with your lives and if you really care about this stuff, organize at the ballot box,” he said. “You know, we can scream about the Tea Party, but the Tea Party folks understood how to make change in 2010. They got out and voted.”

Rendell’s comments stood in stark contrast to other Democrats who are trying to co-opt the movement, known as Occupy Wall Street, for political gain in next year’s election.

President Obama has expressed sympathy for the protests and House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi has said she supports the movement’s message.

"I support the message to the establishment, whether it's Wall Street or the political establishment and the rest, that change has to happen. We cannot continue in a way that does not -- that is not relevant to their lives. People are angry," she said.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has sent around a petition urging people to "stand with" the movement.

Many Republicans have criticized the movement as "anti-capitalism" and "anti-free market."

While the protesters have expressed a number of complaints, including the education system and Hollywood films, their main demands are to end the war and tax the rich. They claim the richest 1 percent of the nation are taking all the wealth at the expense of the other 99 percent.