Woman wakes up after seizure to discover she gave birth prematurely

After suffering a seizure, a young woman woke up to find her baby had been delivered at 24 weeks, The Mirror reported.

In July 2013, 23-year-old Gemma Jamison, from Kingston upon Hull, England, had a massive seizure due to preeclampisa, a disorder characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine. Symptoms include swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches, and changes in vision.

According to the Preeclampsia Foundation, the disorder affects at least 5 to 8 percent of pregnancies and typically occurs after 20 weeks gestation.

Medics battled to deliver the baby and save both lives. Three days later, Jamison woke up with no memory of her little boy’s delivery.

"I couldn't believe it— I had no memory of giving birth— it was all so surreal. I felt robbed of the experience of pregnancy as I hadn't even felt our baby kick,” she told The Mirror.

After seven days of recovery, Jamison was able to meet her son, Tyler, now 17 months old. He had only a one in 10 chance of survival, and was so premature his lungs hadn’t developed properly.

"He had to have 17 blood transfusions and was really struggling to survive. When I first saw him, his skin was almost see-through and he [had] tubes coming out of him everywhere,” Jamison said.

Jamison’s seizure began when she and her husband were sitting in the car. Her shoulder began to twitch and she had trouble breathing. Dale, her husband, gave her mouth to mouth until the paramedics arrived. She was rushed to the hospital and had a second violent seizure.

Doctors told her the only way to save her life was to deliver the baby early.

"I vaguely remember arguing with the doctors because I didn't want them to deliver Tyler so early,” Jamison said. "But the doctors told me I was in severe danger— minutes away from death— and I needed to get to theater.”

Tyler was delivered by caesarean section. His struggle to recover included a heart operation at four weeks and five rounds of laser surgery. Tyler finally came off oxygen support three weeks before his first birthday.

“It's amazing to think that after everything they've both through they're both here to tell the tale,” Dale said. "I could have lost them both so I feel lucky to have my family here. They're incredible."

Click for more from The Mirror.