The brain is made up of 60 percent fat. Yes, F-A-T. The brain utilizes carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins for its energetic function. Vitamin B12, B6 and folic acid combined, manufacture and release chemicals in the brain known as neurotransmitters. Our nervous system relies on these 'neurotransmitters' to communicate messages within the brain. Messages like, "I'm hungry" or "I'm irritated" or "I'm irritated because I'm hungry." Such messages can be the result of a potential malnourished brain.
Here are some nutrient rich foods that give all the nutrients the brain needs for optimal function.
1. Yellowfin Tuna: Studies have shown that consuming foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids keep cell membranes flexible, which encourage in nutrient absorption. Yellowfin tuna also is rich in B vitamin niacin, which can help protecting against Alzheimer’s.
2. Cranberries: Studies have also shown that cranberries help protect brain cells from damaging free radicals. Tart fruits have been linked to improvements in memory as well as coordination and balance. It is also a great antioxidant.
3. Strawberries: Which are in season, are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. Some studies have shown that people who consume half a cup of strawberries show better motor skills and higher learning capacity. Try adding a few into your breakfast and notice if it makes a difference.
4. Sweet Potatoes: These vitamin B6 rich goodies are extremely brain nourishing. It’s high content of carbohydrates (brain's fuel source) provides the necessary manufacturing of neurotransmitters the brain needs. You can add them to soups, or salads or have them as a side dish with your meal.
5. Raisin Bran: Rich in iron, folic acid, calcium and magnesium all nutrients vital for brain fuel. Magnesium aids in the relaxation of blood vessels providing a tension release for those who suffer from blood vessel constriction. This has shown to help reduce headaches and migraines.
Having a healthy diet is always wise, there are certain foods that help us actually feel better. It is important to take care of our bodies and our brains since we pretty much need both to stay alive. There are so many nutrient rich foods out there that can have significantly positive results to your overall health. In order to maximize our health it is vital to pay attention to what goes in. Our brains need food and energy, why not feed it something wholesome and nutritious.